Opioid Safety- Tools and Resources
- Lobbying and policy initiatives
- Care redesign with CMS
- Pain management portfolio
- Data analysis reports
- Clinical surveillance solutions
- Premier research and on-demand education
- Public Health Advisory- April 5, 2018, Naloxone and Opioid Overdose, to expand the awareness and availability of naloxone. The Advisory recommends that more individuals, including family, friends, and those who are personally at risk for an opioid overdose, also keep this lifesaving drug on hand.
- CDC. Opioid website
- Facts on epidemic; overdose data, analysis and prevention; information for patients; provider interactive training/webinars; prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMP); and state surveillance and prescription drug laws.
- Guidelines for opioid prescribing for chronic pain
- CDC Quality Improvement and Care Coordination: Implementing the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, Sept 2018
Resource to help integrate CDC Guideline and associated quality improvement into clinical practice.
- CDC Opioid webinars: (part of CDC Clinician and Outreach Communication Activity (COCA)
- Topics include: CDC guidelines, benefits and harm of opioid use, communication with patients, dosing and titrating, evidence-based treatments, non-opioid treatments, prescribing guidance and risk management strategies.
- CDC Online Training for Applying the CDC Guidelines for Opioids
- AHRQ. Academy for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care: online resources on medication-assisted treatment for opioid use disorder; a Literature Collection; and online Academy Community for peer collaboration on implementing MAT
- AHRQ. Interactive (CME) training “Pathways to Safer Opioid Use,” promotes the appropriate, safe, and effective use of opioids to manage chronic pain. To launch the course, visit: http://health.gov/hcq/training.asp#pathways
- AHRQ. Interactive Map Highlights State-Specific Trends in Opioid-Related Hospital Stays Allows users to explore state-specific information about opioid-related hospital stays
- AHRQ. HCUP Fast Stats – Opioid-Related Hospital Use An on line tool that offers national and state-specific hospital stays and emergency department visits, including data by age, gender, and community-level income
- Toolkit: Stem the Tide: Addressing the Opioid Epidemic PDF opens in a new tab – guidance and case examples for pain management, treatment options, addressing stigma, clinician and family education, transitions of care, diversion, collaboration with community
- Resources to address the opioid misuse crisis includes, online CEUs, prescribing guidelines, access to naloxone, reducing stigma to substance abuse, state and medical society resources, safe opioid disposal and advocacy campaign info.
- Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Chronic Opioid Therapy in Chronic Non-cancer Pain (2009) opens in a new tab (with the American Academy of Pain Medicine)
- Management of Postoperative Pain- A Clinical Practice Guideline (2016) from APS opens in a new tab, American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (SRA) and American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) opens in a new tab
- Practice Guidelines for Acute Pain Management in the Perioperative Setting, 2012 opens in a new tab
- Pain Management- Education Session: When seconds count
- Chronic Pain opens in a new tab
- Injury/Acute Pain opens in a new tab
- Non-Opioid Treatment opens in a new tab
- Premier- ASA partnership on HIIN Pilot- Safer Post-op Pain Management: Reducing Opioid-related Harm More information about the Premier-ASA partnership for reducing Opioid-related harm opens in a new tab
- Free CME program on safe opioid prescribing (with funding from SAMHSA)
- CMS Opioid Misuse Strategy, 2017 CMS strategy to combat misuse and promote programs to support treatment and recovery PDF opens in a new tab
- CMS in Memo to States opens in a new tab
- CMS Conditions for Participation – Interpretive guidelines for hospitals PDF opens in a new tab – medication administration Sept 2014
- www.Capnography.com An interactive website by Bhavani-Shankar Kodali, MD, of Brigham and Women’s Hospital, on use of capnography to monitor ventilation during moderate to heavy sedation, and evaluate effectiveness of chest compressions during CPR.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Caution on withholding buprenorphine and methadone from patients on benzodiazepines or CNS depressants, 2017
- FDA REMS Blueprint on Opioids, 2018
- FDA Drug labeling-warning for opioid products,2016
- FDA Approved opioid Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS), 2016
- Innovations Report: Addressing the opioid crisis in the United States 2016,
This IHI Innovations Report highlights reasons current efforts in US are ineffective and the gaps, identifies the stakeholders and four primary drivers to reduce opioid use, and proposes a systems approach at the community level to address the US opioid crisis.
- Pain Management Standards for Accredited Organizations: opens in a new tab Ambulatory; Behavioral Health; Critical Access Hospitals; Hospitals; Nursing Care Centers; Office-based Surgeries; and Home Health
- NQP Playbook™: Opioid Stewardship provides best practices and strategies for effective pain management and opioid stewardship. As a member of the NQP opioid action team of 40 organizations assisting in its development, Premier is proud supporter of the recommendations in this guide
- Opioid prescribing resources for emergency departments opens in a new tab
Resources include opioid prescribing guidelines, and a patient handout in multiple languages
- OpioidCalc app PDF opens in a new tab – a free app for prescribers to help identify patients’ risk for overdose by calculating total morphine milligram equivalents (MME). Daily MME ≥ 100 triggers an alert. Download the app PDF opens in a new tab.
- RADEO program (reducing Adverse Events Related to Opioids) toolkit to meet Joint Commission recommendations
(in collaboration/funded by AHRQ and CDC)
- Six Building Blocks – A team-based approach to improving opioid management in primary care Comprehensive toolkit with sample policies, patient agreements, pain trackers, clinical education courses, morphine dose calculator, tips for difficult conversations, tools for opioid tapering, tracking and monitoring and measuring success