Energy Resources, Tools, and Programs
Premier white paper
Premier white paper: Leading your healthcare organization toward energy efficiency: A call to action.
Learn how Geisinger saves $6.3 million annually from energy efficiency investments with low- or no-risk investments with high ROI and bottom line savings with case studies on specific energy projects.
Additional resources from Geisinger
American Society for Healthcare Engineering ( ASHE )
ASHE has an Energy Efficiency Commitment (E2C) program, supporting the goals of the EPA’s Energy Star Challenge, and help members uncover energy savings, benchmark of energy with ASHE members using EPA’s portfolio manager, peer-networking forum, sharing of tools and best practices, and recognition awards for achieving documented energy savings
BetterBricks - Strategic Energy Management Planning Tools (SEMP)
BetterBricks – Strategic Energy Management Planning Tools (SEMP)BetterBricks
An initiative of the Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance supported by local electric utilities.
Tools, resources, case studies, checklists, spreadsheets, calculators, for making the case to leadership, energy management planning, calculating life cycle costs, financing options, improving building operations, building system diagnosis, building high performing design and construction, sample RFPs for equipment, tips for staff and public awareness of energy efficiency, tools for tracking and recognition. The Hospitals and Healthcare resources section is organized by the SEMP steps and includes tools such as PowerPoint presentations and management plan templates.
Department of Energy ( DOE )
- Hospital Energy Alliance – Department of Energy (DOE) an industry-led partnership between the DOE and national healthcare sector leaders to promote the integration of advanced energy efficiency and renewable technologies in hospital design, construction, retrofit, operations, and maintenance.
- EnergySmart Hospitals – Supports hospital leaders in increasing energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions, includes tools, resources, energy design guides, training on energy management and retrofitting, tech assessment and case studies in efficiency (e.g., asthma, respiratory illness, etc.)
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency – DSIRE is a comprehensive source of information on state, federal, local, and utility incentives and policies that support renewable energy and energy efficiency. Site funded by the U.S. Department of Energy.
United States Environmental Protection Agency ( U.S. EPA )
- Portfolio Manager – An energy tracking and benchmarking tool.
- Energy Star for Healthcare program – Products, programs and recognition programs for energy cost savings, energy efficiency and pollution prevention.
- Green Power Partnership – Benchmarks tools for green power purchases, information on market viable solutions and recognition programs.
- Climate Leaders Partnership – Guidance and assistance in developing long-term comprehensive climate change strategies and setting a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction goal.
- Please ask our contracted suppliers about their Energy Star products.
Healthcare Without Harm - Climate change, energy resource
Healthier Hospitals Initiative (HHI)
As a national campaign to improving environmental health and sustainability in the health care sector, with goals, tools, case studies to guide hospitals to leaner energy, as well as healthier foods, engaged leadership, less waste, safer chemicals, smarter purchasing and engaged leadership.
Case studies on energy
- Hospital Energy Alliance – Department of Energy (DOE)
- Building Envelope Critical to High-Performance Hospitals
- Commissioning Existing Hospital Buildings Aids Peak Energy Performance
- Efficient Hospital Boilers Result in Financial, Environmental, and Safety Payoffs
- Energy-Efficient Hospital Lighting Strategies Pay Off Quickly
- Ground Source Heat Pumps: Weighing the Value to Hospitals
- Hospitals Benefit by Improving Inefficient Chiller Systems
- Hospitals Discover Advantages to Using Combined Heat and Power Systems
- Hospitals Pulling the Plug on Energy-Wasting Electric Equipment and Procedures
- Hospitals Realize Fast Paybacks from Retrofits and Operations and Maintenance Solutions
- Hospitals Realize Greatest Savings Through Formal Energy Management Program
- Hospitals Save Costs With Water Efficiency
- Hospitals Save Energy and Money by Optimizing HVAC Performance
- Integrated Building Design Critical to High-Performance Hospitals
- Renewables Make a Powerful Case as Hospital Energy Source
- Technical Guidance Document: LED Surgical Task Lighting
American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE) has additional case studies available on ASHE E2C and EPA Energy Star