- Lobbying and policy initiatives
- Care redesign with CMS
- Pain management portfolio
- Data analysis reports
- Clinical surveillance solutions
- Premier research and on-demand education
US Surgeon General
- Public Health Advisory- April 5, 2018, Naloxone and Opioid Overdose, to expand the awareness and availability of naloxone. The Advisory recommends that more individuals, including family, friends, and those who are personally at risk for an opioid overdose, also keep this lifesaving drug on hand.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC
- CDC. Opioid website
- Facts on epidemic; overdose data, analysis and prevention; information for patients; provider interactive training/webinars; prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMP); and state surveillance and prescription drug laws.
- Guidelines for opioid prescribing for chronic pain
- CDC Quality Improvement and Care Coordination: Implementing the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, Sept 2018
Resource to help integrate CDC Guideline and associated quality improvement into clinical practice.
- CDC Opioid webinars: (part of CDC Clinician and Outreach Communication Activity (COCA)
- Topics include: CDC guidelines, benefits and harm of opioid use, communication with patients, dosing and titrating, evidence-based treatments, non-opioid treatments, prescribing guidance and risk management strategies.
- CDC Online Training for Applying the CDC Guidelines for Opioids
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality AHRQ
- AHRQ. Academy for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care: online resources on medication-assisted treatment for opioid use disorder; a Literature Collection; and online Academy Community for peer collaboration on implementing MAT.
- AHRQ. Interactive (CME) training “Pathways to Safer Opioid Use,” promotes the appropriate, safe, and effective use of opioids to manage chronic pain.
To launch the course, visit: http://health.gov/hcq/training.asp#pathways
- AHRQ Interactive Map Highlights State-Specific Trends in Opioid-Related Hospital Stays Allows users to explore state-specific information about opioid-related hospital stays
- AHRQ. HCUP Fast Stats – Opioid-Related Hospital Use An on line tool that offers national and state-specific hospital stays and emergency department visits, including data by age, gender, and community-level income.
Alarm Safety- Patient Controlled Anesthesia (PCA)
American Academy of Family Practice
American Dental Association ADA.
American Hospital Association AHA
- Toolkit: Stem the Tide: Addressing the Opioid Epidemic – guidance and case examples for pain management, treatment options, addressing stigma, clinician and family education, transitions of care, diversion, collaboration with community
American Medical Association AMA.
- Resources to address the opioid misuse crisis includes, online CEUs, prescribing guidelines, access to naloxone, reducing stigma to substance abuse, state and medical society resources, safe opioid disposal and advocacy campaign info.
American Pain Society APS.
- Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Chronic Opioid Therapy in Chronic Non-cancer Pain (2009) (with the American Academy of Pain Medicine)
- Management of Postoperative Pain- A Clinical Practice Guideline (2016) from APS, American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (SRA) and American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
American Pharmacist Association AphA
American Society of Addiction Medicine ASAM.
American Society of Anesthesiology -ASA
- Practice Guidelines for Acute Pain Management in the Perioperative Setting, 2012
- Pain Management- Education Session: When seconds count
Association for Advancement of Medical Instrumentation AAMI Foundation and Healthcare Technology Safety Institute.
- National Coalition to Promote Continuous Monitoring of Patients on Opioids 2014
- Compendium –Opioid Safety and Patient Monitoring
Boston University School of Medicine.
- Free CME program on safe opioid prescribing (with funding from SAMHSA)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid CMS.
- CMS Opioid Misuse Strategy, 2017 CMS strategy to combat misuse and promote programs to support treatment and recovery
- CMS in Memo to States March 2014
- CMS Conditions for Participation –Interpretive guidelines for hospitals – medication administration Sept 2014.
Capnography – monitoring of patients on opioids
- www.Capnography.com An interactive website by Bhavani-Shankar Kodali, MD, of Brigham and Women’s Hospital, on use of capnography to monitor ventilation during moderate to heavy sedation, and evaluate effectiveness of chest compressions during CPR.
Drug Enforcement Administration DEA / Department of Justice DOJ.
Drug diversion in healthcare
US Energy and Commerce Committee
Emergency Medicine Patient Safety Foundation EMPSF.
Food and Drug Administration FDA.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Caution on withholding buprenorphine and methadone from patients on benzodiazepines or CNS depressants, 2017
- FDA. Resources: Blueprint for providers, opioid action plan, consumer education, treating pain, reporting adverse events, 2017
- FDA. Drug labeling-warning for opioid products ,2016
- FDA. Approved opioid Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS), 2016
Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
- Innovations Report: Addressing the opioid crisis in the United States, 2016
This IHI Innovations Report highlights reasons current efforts in US are ineffective and the gaps, identifies the stakeholders and four primary drivers to reduce opioid use, and proposes a systems approach at the community level to address the US opioid crisis.
Joint Commission TJC.
- Pain Management Standards for Hospitals June 2017- effective January 1, 2018
- Statement on Pain Management, 2016
- Sentinel Event Alert on safe opioid use in hospitals. Guidance for avoiding adverse events, 2012.
National Institute of Drug Abuse.
National Quality Forum (NQF)- National Quality Partners (NQP)
- NQP Playbook™: Opioid Stewardship provides best practices and strategies for effective pain management and opioid stewardship. As a member of the NQP opioid action team of 40 organizations assisting in its development, Premier is proud supporter of the recommendations in this guide
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- Opioid prescribing resources for emergency departments
Resources include opioid prescribing guidelines, and a patient handout in multiple languages
- OpioidCalc app – a free app for prescribers to help identify patients’ risk for overdose by calculating total morphine milligram equivalents (MME). Daily MME ≥ 100 triggers an alert. Download the app.
Pharmacy Quality Alliance PQA.
Physician-Patient Alliance for Health & Safety.
- Opioid Safety and alarm safety resources, including continuous monitoring of PCA patients, case studies and checklists.
Rutgers University School of Pharmacy
Society of Hospital Medicine
- RADEO program (reducing Adverse Events Related to Opioids) toolkit to meet Joint Commission recommendations
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration SAMHSA-opioids.
University of Washington
(in collaboration/funded by AHRQ and CDC)
- Six Building Blocks- A team-based approach to improving opioid management in primary care Comprehensive toolkit with sample policies, patient agreements, pain trackers, clinical education courses, morphine dose calculator, tips for difficult conversations, tools for opioid tapering, tracking and monitoring and measuring success
VA. Department of Veterans Affairs.
White House – Presidential Executive Order on Opioid Crisis
- Presidential Executive Order Establishing the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, 2017