- Magill SS, Edwards JR, Bamberg W, Beldavs ZG, Dumyati G, Kainer MA et al. Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections. N Engl J Med 2014;370(13):1198-208.
- Pritish K and Tosh L McDonald C. Infection Control in the Multidrug-Resistant Era: Tending the Human Microbiome Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011.
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Resources for patients, clinicians, healthcare facilities and public health agencies on the epidemiology, prevention and control of Clostridium difficile.
- CDC Clostridium difficile ( difficile) Infections Toolkit[PDF -1.04 MB]
- CDC Update on Hand Hygiene and difficile: Rationale for Hand Hygiene Recommendations after Caring for a Patient with Clostridium difficile Infection[PDF 134 KB]
- CDC Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings, 2007
- CDC Management of Multidrug-Resistant Organisms In Healthcare Settings, 2006
- CDC Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, (2008)
- CDC Guideline for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities, 2003[PDF – 1.4 MB]
- CDC Vital Signs – Public health reports on key topics Making healthcare safer: Stopping Clostridium difficile infections
- EPA Environmental Protection Agency – list of products
Since Clostridium difficile spores are resistant to many cleaning agents and hospital disinfectants, the EPA has developed standard tests that must be performed to ensure a product can deactivate spores. The EPA list can be found at: http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_k_clostridium.pdf
- SHEA Strategies to Prevent Clostridium difficile Infections in Acute Care Hospitals: 2014 Update AUTHORS: SHEA, IDSA AHA, APIC, The Joint z`Commission
Antimicrobial Stewardship – to reduce C. difficile
- AHRQ- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
AHRQ Toolkit for the Reduction of CDI through Antimicrobial Stewardship to assist with decreasing the overuse and inappropriate selection of antibiotics.
- CDC- Get Smart for Healthcare: Implementing and Improving Antibiotic Stewardship Efforts