Premier healthcare alliance
Tools, programs and initiatives to assist with implementation of effective antimicrobial stewardship programs. More information.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Safety Program for Improving Antibiotic use.
- Toolkit for Reduction of Clostridium difficile Infections Through Antimicrobial Stewardship
This toolkit is designed to help hospitals consider the organization changes and resources needed to create and sustain an effective program with tools to tailor strategies and implementation to specific organizational needs, structures, and culture.
American Hospital Association (AHA)
American Nurses Association (ANA)
- White Paper ANA-CDC Workgroup: Redefining the Antibiotic Stewardship Team:
Recommendations from the American Nurses Association/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Workgroup on the Role of Registered Nurses in Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Practices
American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP)
- ASHP Therapeutic Guidelines (2013). Clinical Practice Guidelines for Antimicrobial Prophylaxis in Surgery
Bratzler DW, Dellinger EP, Olsen KM, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2013; 70:195-283. These guidelines were developed jointly by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), the Surgical Infection Society (SIS), and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA).
- ASHP – Statement on the Pharmacist’s Role in Antimicrobial Stewardship and Infection Prevention and Control, 2010
- ASHP- A hospital pharmacists guide to antimicrobial stewardship programs
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology (APIC)
- APIC Practice Resources
- APIC/SHEA Position Paper: Antimicrobial Stewardship: A Collaborative Partnership between Infection Preventionists and Healthcare Epidemiologists Am J Infect Control 2012
California antimicrobial stewardship program
- California antimicrobial stewardship program initiative Acute care hospitals in California are required by law to implement programs for monitoring the use of antibiotics with oversight from a quality improvement committee.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Vital Signs– covers important health threats such as antimicrobial resistance.
- CDC Vital Signs: Containing Unusual Resistance April 2018
- Accompanying Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR): Vital Signs: Containment of Novel Multidrug-Resistant Organisms and Resistance Mechanisms — United States, 2006–2017 MMWR April 6, 2018 / 67(13);396-401
- CDC Vital Signs: Making Healthcare Safer- Stopping the Spread of Antibiotic Resistance
- Accompanying Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report: Vital Signs: Estimated Effects of a Coordinated Approach for Action to Reduce Antibiotic-Resistant Infections in Health Care Facilities — United States. MMWR August 7, 2015 / 64(30);826-831
- CDC Vital Signs: Making Healthcare Safer: Protecting Patients from HAIs and Antibiotic-Resistant Infections
- Accompanying Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) Preventing Antibiotic-Resistant Infections in Hospitals — United States, 2014 MMWR March 11, 2016 / 65(9);235–241
- CDC Vital Signs: Containing Unusual Resistance April 2018
- CDC Report: Antibiotic Use in the United States, 2017: Progress and Opportunities (includes programs and resources to support stewardship in healthcare)
- Antibiotics and Antimicrobial Resistance
- Resources on top resistant organisms, lab testing, antibiotic-resistant isolate bank, protecting food supply, protecting patients, protecting yourself and your family
- Antimicrobial Stewardship: Antimicrobial Prescribing and Use in Hospitals and Long Term Care
- Core Elements of Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs
- Resources on evidence, stewardship program examples, and implementation resources
- CDC’s Be Antibiotics Aware: Smart Use and Best Care (formerly Get Smart): CDC’s national effort to help improve antibiotic prescribing and use and to help combat antibiotic resistance.
- US Antibiotics Awareness Week, November 12-18, 2018
FDA – US Food and Drug Administration
- Antimicrobial Resistance Initiatives
Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
- IDSA-SHEA The Infectious Disease Society of America and the Society Healthcare Epidemiology of America Guidelines IDSA-SHEA Guidelines for Institutional Programs for Antimicrobial Stewardship Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2007;44(15 Jan):159-177
National Quality Forum (NQF)
- NQF and CDC: Antibiotic Stewardship in Acute Care: A Practical Playbook. Tools Developed by 25 experts and organizations, including Premier healthcare alliance, to help acute-care hospitals implement strategies to promote appropriate, safe use of antibiotics
- National Quality Partners’ Antibiotic Stewardship Action Team: Antibiotic Stewardship in Acute Care: A practical Playbook (May 25, 2016).
NIH – National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). Antimicrobial (Drug) Resistance (2013)
The PEW Charitable Trusts
- Antibiotics and Antibiotic Resistance, includes research, issues papers, podcasts, education, and testimony
- Report: Trends in US Antibiotic use, 2018
Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and IDSA
- SHEA policies, resources, education programs
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, Infectious Diseases Society of America, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society. Policy statement on antimicrobial stewardship Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012;33(4):322-327
Society of Infectious Disease Pharmacists (SIDP)
Surveys on Antimicrobial Stewardship
- SHEA-Premier Survey Results of Survey on Implementation of Infectious Diseases Society of America and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America Guidelines for Developing an Institutional Program to Enhance Antimicrobial Stewardship (2009) Scott D. Pope, PharmD; Timothy H. Dellit, MD; Robert C. Owens, PharmD; Thomas M. Hooton, MD. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. January 2009 vol. 30 No. 1
- A Nationwide Survey of Antimicrobial Stewardship Practices (2013) Shira Doron, MD; Lauren Nadkarni, BS; Lori Lyn Price, MAS; Kenneth Lawrence, PharmD; Lisa E. Davidson, MD; Jack Evans, RPh; Caren Garber, BA; and David R. Snydman, MD. Clinical Therapeutics/Volume 35, Number 6, 2013
World Health Organization (WHO)
- WHO Resources on Antimicrobial Resistance and Stewardship, including surveillance, global action plan, infection prevention and control, publications/research, guidelines for food, and education.